Thursday, September 11, 2008

Heard and Seen

Two things I'd like to share from this morning:

Heard...
1. Warren this morning asked me if being a grown up means you can get stuff off of the top of the refrigerator (where we keep any candy that happens to be in the house) "perfectly fine" without using a stool or anything. If only it was that simple, right? I love his innocence, so I just told him that the answer is yes ;)

And Seen...
2. As I was driving down town this morning, blocks away from my building, listening to the coverage of the September 11th services on satellite radio, the light I was sitting at turned green. And out of the corner of my eye I see a lady with a walking stick heading directly for my driver side door. No one at the light moved, and as she literally ran into my car, I panicked and unrolled my window not knowing what I might do or say or if maybe she was deaf as well as blind. Just then a man that had already crossed the road prior to the light turning green darted back across the two lanes and grabbed her and led her safely to the other side of the road.

The traffic commenced and I started crying as I drove the rest of the three blocks to work. There I was listening to the recounts of the brave rescuers that lost their lives and the brave service men and women still fighting and loosing their lives to prevent another 9/11 and I got to see first hand a display of such bravery from this blind woman walking to work.


Could I put myself in harms way for my country, or run the wrong way into a burning symbol of American commerce, or set out each day into the concrete jungle armed with a walking stick and sheer determination?

I am humbled and left wondering, like Warren did this morning, what it means to be an adult.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...