Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Reality and a little Philosophy

I love seeing what other peoples' houses look like inside -- does it match the outside, is there a common decor, what paint colors have they opted for? So, just in case there are any other voyeuristic types out there and because I know I will like looking at these years from now, I am going to take a couple vignette type shots of each room in my house...in no order and with no timeline in mind because that would ruin all the fun.

The idea is that the rooms are in their 'natural' state, meaning I haven't posed anything or moved anything around...unless of course it was inappropriate or made me look bad :)

So, for today, it is the master bedroom since that is where I was when I had this idea:

{The master bed}


I love this new bedding I got from...Walmart! It is from their Canopy line and is sooo soft. I had a hard time finding something that I liked with the chocolate brown to match the curtains and paint on an adjacent wall. Who knew Walmart was the place to go?

{The builder called this option the "Coffee Bar", which is kind of silly because there is nothing related to coffee going on in the master bedroom. But it is great storage and is where I keep all of our over the counter medicines and random items too}


The light remote turns off the bedside lamps -- or at least it is supposed to! We recently discovered that someone got chocolate all over and inside of it, which might explain why it hasn't been working so great lately ;) And I do have a replacement for the broken knob, so it is just a matter of replacing it. The only reason I haven't done so yet is that they are glass and this one resides behind the bedroom door...kind of saving the extras for more noticeable ones if any more should ahem, spontaneously break.

And now for the little dose of Philosophy.

Now that I am about to have three kids, I have had several people ask me directly "how do you do it?" or I can tell they are thinking that when I pass them in the supermarket or the rec center. This has me thinking...do I have a parenting style, how do I do it, what is my philosophy?

I gave it a little bit of thought and came up with a few things to capture. Nothing earth-shattering but it does paint a bit of a picture of the type of parenting that goes on around here:

~I pick my battles. Some things I let go when it comes to discipline, but others are steadfast and very consistent. The decision is based on considering a combination of the kids' motive, cognisance, degree of potential or incurred collateral damage etc.

~I am pretty lax when it comes to things like food and television -- or at least I MAKE it APPEAR that way to the boys. Not having things be "taboo" and giving them a sense of being in control to an extent produces much more desirable results I have found. I coach them on what they should choose to eat and present them with lots of activities not related to television, while leaving those poorer choices open. And guess what? Nine times out of ten, they choose the healthy snack and lord knows they aren't the least bit interested in TV at this point.

~Naps are vital. Both boys still take naps. They are VERY active and NEED the rest. And it gives me time to have quiet to myself and get things done around the house. A sanity saver for sure!

~My main objective with my kids at this point in their childhood is to foster good healthy self-esteems. I do this by giving lots of positive reinforcement, praise, unabashed displays of love (lots of hugs and kisses at our house!), and making sure to show them how smart they are. I give them lots of opportunities to be successful at trying new things and going outside of their comfort zone when it comes to social situations or physical activity.

~I am not perfect and I am not afraid to let boys know that. I have days when my patience runs low and I don't know the answers to all of their questions. I think that even at 3 and 5, the boys know that. But, more importantly they know I am doing my best overall and that I love them unconditionally and immensely!

That's about it! I also think a lot of parenting is instinctual based on the love you have for your child and doesn't need to be learned from any book or other source. But self-reflection is always good!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...