Tuesday, September 21, 2010

"Frugal... it's the new spendy-spendy!"

For the past few days, each time I came downstairs I found myself stopping by the computer.

Did she email back?! Ohhh, yes. Love it. Must respond. Ideas, ideas, ideas...

And after just about the most fun and thought provoking email chain, I have compiled a bulleted list of things that are just too good not to share.

  • Wash dishes on light cycle with no heated dry.
  • Line dry all clothes after washing only on cold. If need be, toss in dryer for 5 minutes after they are dry for a no heat "fluff".
  • Turn off the computer at night.
  • Unplug things that aren't getting used more than 1 hour per day.
  • Limit your number of dinners per week that have meat. Substitute with other forms of protein and watch in amazement at the impact to your grocery budget and possibly even your waisteline.
  • Open windows/doors in the morning, when it is cool. Then shut drapes and blinds once the sun is warm.
  • Experiment with raising the setting on the thermostat in the Summer and the opposite in the winter, you might find that you can be comfortable a couple degrees off from where you thought you needed to be.
  • Shop second hand. I bought ALL the boys' school clothes at my favorite thrift store this year! Find a favorite thrift store and go frequently! If I need an item in my kitchen, now I don't even find myself driving towards a red target anymore... that was a huge habit to break!
  • Try cutting your own kids' hair. I have all boys so this is easier for me, but still at $13/haircut and as fast as their hair grows, this can make a big impact!
  • Keep the vents clean on your appliances and make sure they are in good working order, especially the AC unit if you have one.
  • Pare down the luxuries... do you really need or even find much please in that XM satellite radio subscription, netflix, extra cable channels, etc.
  • This is a biggie... don't have the television on when you are in a room just to keep you company and provide background noise. We are still working on this one, and by we, I mean just a certain someone -- love you, babe!

Thanks, Megan. Really too much fun...

In case you wonder why the emphasis now, really it has been a steady slow progression since I quit working outside the home over two years ago. But for some reason I find we have historically put more emphasis on just bringing more and more income into our household, and not enough on how we actually spend it.

And really, it is fulfilling and actually fun to save your family money and do good in the process!

1 comment:

Megan said...

Booyah! Look at us go! Know where that money is going! I found myself setting cruise control on Westminster Blvd today to see if cruise gets better mpg than I do - it does! It must have a steadier 'foot'.

The thrift store is a crazy good idea. I have always been too weirded out by it. But when you told me you went there, I thought "wow, cool people go to the thrift store too?". I have found TREASURES there. Whenever I need something, I write it down on a piece of paper I have hidden in a kitchen cabinet, wait a week or so to see if I really need/want it, then check out the thrift store first! I recently needed new dish towels. The thrift store had exactly what I wanted - 6 towels for $3.00! You can't get that kind of bargain anywhere else. Love it!

Thanks for the inspiration, Charity! Shutting down my computer now . . .

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...