Monday, July 20, 2009

Nolan in the NICU

That's right, you read it correctly. Nolan is having to stay a couple days in the NICU, thus the lack of pictures of our new little guy. We got a couple right when he was born but they are kind of yucky right out of the womb and don't photo well in my opinion.

So, now that I have said that, I must say straight away that he is perfectly fine.

This is very minor.

Right after he was born, he started to grunt with each breath and breathe very quickly -- clear indicators of respiratory distress. Of course, he was immediately evaluated and it was determined that the best course of action was to give him some extra oxygen and monitor his oxygen stats in the nursery.

Since he seemed to do better and in fact need the extra help, he was transferred to the NICU. We are able to visit him and I am nursing him every couple hours, but he does have an IV in to give him some extra fluids since it is kind of hard for him to nurse while he is breathing so fast.

The doctors tell me that it will all clear up in a couple days and that this is the most common reason for a full term baby to end up in the NICU. So, I really am taking it in stride and coping much better than I would have ever imagined if you would have told me two days ago that our baby would be in the NICU.

Truly, what is more shocking is seeing the really sick babies in there. I have this full term, pink, healthy little fighter in there who is crying and opening his eyes and eating...and right next to him are babies that are...lets just say not doing all those things. It is heart-breaking.

So, now here are a couple pictures of him, one of those right out of the womb, rashy ones that I am not a fan of, and one of him under the tent in the NICU.

I have to brag on my baby just a bit since I don't have the pictures yet to illustrate how beautiful he is. He has blue eyes and brown fuzzy hair right now (although I bet it will all fall out like his brothers' did). He is very long and lean with big hands and feet. My personal favorite feature thus far are his lips! They are gorgeous, kissable, perfect little cupie-doll lips and they are ruby red. We love him immensely and know that this little bump in the road will be short lived and that we will have our little boy home very soon. This will be a distant memory soon enough, so I am just taking solace knowing he is getting the best care possible with the lovely nurses (one of whom is the mom of a friend of mine!)




I guess I should update that I am physically feeling fabulous. Up and about without problem and doing great, just a little tired. I got discharged today at noon and it was nice to be able to come home once I got over the weirdness of leaving the hospital without the baby.

The situation is less than perfect -- not what I envisioned. I am a little sad that Warren and Jack haven't gotten to hold him yet like I had pictured and planned. But this is actually a good lesson for me to know that even when things don't go as planned, it is okay. It is good to adapt and find the bright side and even humor of situations.

For example:

Me: lovingly nursing Nolan, who is still getting the hang of it.
Bryan to Nolan: "whoop up on it, son."

I laughed out loud -- in the NICU. I know it is all going to be O.K.

3 comments:

Erica said...

Awhh, how sweet he is, he obviously doesn't like those bright lights! I'm so sorry your little guy didn't get to come home with you. Praying that he is out of there before you know it! He looks like he has long fingers, hope you get to take unattached photos soon and that his big brothers will be able to hold him! Glad you are feeling good!

Jessica said...

So sorry to hear that little Nolan is having a tough start. You seem to be handling it amazingly well. He looks precious "rashy" and all *grin*! Praying that it isn't too much longer before you get to bring him home!

CissaLynn said...

Awwww!!! He is simply precious!!!! :)) I am looking forward to more pics and seeing him being held by his big brothers!!! :))
(sooo sorry about him being in the NICU, but sooo glad to hear he is okay)!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...