Wednesday, April 8, 2009

A typical day in the life of

Warning: this post is probably extremely boring, ya know, as opposed to all my other fast-paced exhilarating posts that are packed with information you couldn't live without ;)

Anyhow, I want to capture an entire day of my life at this point just as it unfolds. So, I will be updating this post throughout the day and posting at the very end. Here goes!

Oh, and I've often wondered what I look like to my little boys. Well wonder no more! Jack took these shots of me from his little vantage point today outside on the back patio. Swell, huh? At least you can see the beautiful blue sky, if you can stop looking up my nose :)




7:40 -- Get out of bed. I slept okay. Woke up at about 4:30 and didn't fall back asleep til close to 6, but we did turn in early last night. Or at least I did. Bryan stayed up late doing some work for a rental house and some other stuff. He's a martyr like that.

Immediately took Jack to the potty and put on the Baby Einstein movie he was whining for last night (he doesn't forget ANYTHING!). Got Jack dressed and then used some crafty reverse psychology to get Warren to actually dress himself and be quite proud to do it!

While they watched the mind-numbing show (in my opinion), I headed downstairs to make up their breakfast, which consisted of: strawberries (4 each cut up), an apple cut up and split between them, hearty whole grain toast with smart balance spread (1 piece each), and a yogurt each. Topped off with a glass of O.J. and their daily Gummies with Omega 3 vitamins. They scarfed up their breakfast and I made myself a cup of coffee. Of course the boys always ask for drinks of my coffee so I shared. I myself have been on the sauce since a very tender age so I see no problem. I hear there are lots of health benefits to the bean actually!

8:45 -- Run out the door with both beautifully groomed, sunscreened, happy little boys to take Warren to preschool, which starts at 9 and is just at the local Elementary school just a couple blocks from our front door. Make sure to bring my wallet to pay April's tuition. Oh! And a water bottle for Warren that I keep forgetting over and over :) Dang, Warren forgot his zippy jacket, I hope the weather report is true or else he is going to be chilly on recess...but then again maybe it will be a good reminder for him. Hah!

9:10 -- Return home and clean up breakfast mess (I admit it, I eat whatever is left from their plates and pour another cup of coffee and call that breakfast), unload the dishwasher, put the load of whites I ran last night in the dryer. During this time, Jack plays very quietly and independently in the loft. This is his "down time" of the day, when he doesn't have a big brother to compete with, show off for, and talk over. It is peaceful and I get a lot done for the 2 and a half hours a day that I only have one little boy.

10:00 -- Done with morning cleaning routine! Time to take a quick shower and then walk to the school to get Warren by 11:30. yay! Jack pooped in the toilet already, so I don't have to worry and wonder about that the remainder of the day. It is SUCH a nice day outside. I am planning to have the boys do finger painting and side walk chalk and just play outside as much as possible today.

11:50 -- Back from getting Warren. I am about to make their lunch, and I am thinking of just using the microwave for something really quick so we can get outside. I am feeling brave, so lets get messy outside! Hmmm, how does everyone feel about corn dogs and some chicken noodle soup? Okay then... oh and it turns out they already broke into some chips while I am typing this. Oh well! I am still going to proceed with the plan.

1:07 -- Finished with picnic lunch at the park in front of our house. And sidewalk chalk and playing with a neighbor boy. Now moving the party to the back yard and breaking out the finger paint. I wish the weather was like this every day. The boys are getting along great and it is nice to just stay home today!

1:50 -- Um, if you're looking for a nice activity to occupy a good portion of time, finger painting is NOT it! Don't get me wrong, they enjoyed all ten minutes it took to smear the paint around and then proclaim "I'm done, wash me up!" I don't know, but it seems my boys are not the artsy craftsy type just yet. So, they are already back at the park doing more gross motor skill type things like climbing and swinging and chatting it up with a little girl out there. Better head out...





8:10 -- Just got the boys down for the night. So somewhere around 3pm the boys finally came inside and I tried to get them to play peacefully inside or even watch a DVD...no dice! They didn't take the bait, so I packed them up in the car and headed to the mall to let them play at the Dinosaur play area there. Since Bryan is out of town for work tonight, we ended up eating at Red Robin, yum! And then having dessert at McDonalds. Not our healthiest meal ever but it was fun and they mostly behaved themselves. Warren had a few moments of disobedience but it would be the Twilight Zone if he didn't.

We got home at 6:45 and I gave them a bath and read two of our library books from yesterday's trip to the local public library. Jack really loved the one we read called "Under" about a little boy named Jack who loses his action figure under the stairs. Very relatable to a little boy who is constantly losing toys under his bed. It was so cute to listen to Jack re-read the book to himself after I read it to them.

And somewhere in the blurr of the afternoon I folded and put away two loads of laundry (the whites from earlier and a load of kid clothes I snuck in). And of course there were multiple snacks, as there always are.

It was a long day. A fun day. And very much a typical day at this point in my life, the little kid years. I know these years will fly by and someday I will barely be able to recall what it was like. Then hopefully I can read this post and miss these hectic, unglamorous, sometimes frustrating, but full of love and laughter days.

2 comments:

Bryan said...

Wow! What a long post, after reading it I really miss you guys and wish I was home.

I will take the martyr as a compliment :)

On my way said...

Nice!! Sometimes I wish I was a stay at home mom. Its sad that my little one spends so much time at the day because mommy has to work, But I know/hope that one day he will understand.
Nice blog by the way, keep it up!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...