Monday, August 23, 2010

Maybe, First.


{I love how he buttoned the top button of his shirt! And if I might add, I think he will be one of the best dressed 1st graders around, courtesy of his Mama's thrift store shopping prowess.}

Maybe it's because he's my first born.

Maybe it's because he's a 1st-grader.

Maybe it's because he's our first grader.

Whatever it is...

Maybe that's why I wrote him a note on his napkin tucked into his lunch using only words of encouragement and love that I know he can read and is too young to be embarrassed by.


Or maybe that's why I said "goodbye, honey, have fun" so many times while sending him off that I could see other parents looking my way to make sure I didn't have Tourette's or something.
::
Or maybe that's why my pooling eyes steamed up the inside of my sunglasses when he walked away with his class, totally confident and happy to be in the presence of his classmates. None of the looking-back-at-mom-as-he-walked-away like Kindergarten.
::
Or maybe that's why I left the house 30 minutes before school finally let out, caving into the anxiousness to go see my boy and find out all the details of his first day of first grade.
::
Or maybe that's why I laughed out loud when he limited my question-asking to "only three more questions, mommy, 'cause I'm exhausted."
::
Or maybe that's why I went ahead and poured him a huge bowl of cereal per his request when we got home.
::
Or maybe I just LOVE this kid, this first kid of mine!

1 comment:

Megan said...

Oh Charity. I'm welling up just looking at your perfect child and reading your mothering words. Ugh. It's too much! Way to be an awesome mom, in the moment with your kids. Did you stick to only three questions though?!?! I mean, who does he sit next to? And did he get his note? And did he sit with new friends at lunch? And did he have fun? Does he like his teacher? Does he have a cubby or a locker? I can't wait to try not to drill them at Mom's Group. WAIT! They won't be there because they are in school . . . I'll have to catch them on the weekend!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...