Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Public School it is!

I have recently decided that my kids will be attending public school when the time comes. Warren will stay at the current day care/school through kindergarten and then he will go to the public school that is literally 400 yards from our front door. Same scenario for Jack.

It is an adorable little elementary school and we are in a good county now for schools, so we are going to take advantage of that and put our tax dollars to good use.

This has been a big decision, as I was initially pretty set on them attending private schooling. Here were the biggest reasons I have decided on public:

1. I am a pragmatist. I don't really think my kids will be any better off for attending private schools so I just can't shell out money on that when I could save it for the ever increasing cost of college for them instead.

2. I think my kids are very smart and I have confidence that they will do well no matter where they go. Especially since they will be getting lots of encouragement and support from Bryan and I at home. I think the most important thing is just to show your kids that education is important and valuable and can be a fun process.

3. I don't want to raise little elitists and think it is better for them to be among a great variety of children so that they can learn to be adaptive and well rounded adults.

4. I am not a fan of the whole homeschooling concept for so many reasons but mostly because I think it is way better for the kids for ACADEMICS to be taught by someone other than parents. Children behave, think, and act differently around non-parents and the neutral environment free from emotional strings and preconceptions gives them greater leeway to try on different hats and explore their learning styles and just blossom. It is valuable for kids to interact with people outside of their family...like the old addage "it takes a village to raise a child."

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...