Thursday, February 19, 2009

Five Ingredients to Happy

Raising children is hard work!

It is totally worth it as far as I can tell, but nonetheless hard work. So, I want to make sure that all of this hard work is properly channeled into enjoying my kids and making sure I get the end result that I am after. Because, yes, there is a goal to all of this after all. I don't just have a penchant for bodily fluids and lack of sleep, ya know. There are certain things I want for my children now and for their futures.

For my children, I hope that you are...

1)...Healthy. Because without your health, not much else really matters. This is why I am doing everything possible to give you a healthy start in life by: breastfeeding to hopefully give you my awesome immune system (truly one of my best features!), feeding you a wide variety of ALL food groups, teaching and enforcing good personal hygiene, getting you immunized and visiting doctors and dentists regularly for early detection and prevention, and giving you vitamins every day to make up for those occasional days when you might eat nothing but goldfish crackers.

So take care of yourself, please.

2)...Successful. And I would be lying if I said I don't mean this mostly in regards to college and careers. Because I do...which is why you've all had college funds started prior to having birth certificates. Not that I think college is the only way to have success, but it certainly doesn't hurt. Not only does the diploma guarantee a level of consideration for more opportunities, but the character building experiences and chance to gradually transition to adulthood during those 4+ years are both very valuable.

Aside from the accomplishment-type successes, I hope you consider yourselves to be successful individuals by whatever yardstick you choose to measure with. Love yourself and nurture your self-esteem always. Then you'll surely be a success.

Oh! And, yes, I will love you just the same if you choose not to go to college, and then, hey, I'll just buy myself some lavish tuition-worthy vacation or something.
Don't be lazy. Live up to your potential because you are all so smart and capable. Set yourself up for success because you are not entitled to anything. You have to earn it.




So go to college and work hard, please.

3)...Curious. Never stop learning or seeking out new experiences and vantage points. Explore. Try new foods. Read lots. Of everything. Take occasional calculated risks. Go outside of your comfort zone every now and then. Seek out people that are different than you. Travel. Throw caution to the wind. Once. Or maybe even twice.

So value and desire new knowledge, please.

4)...Respectful. How you treat others is such a huge reflection of yourself. So be nice. Not just because it is the right thing to do and you don't want to be perceived as a jerk. Do it because you can see that every person has intrinsic value. Show love. Don't judge, unless you really are a judge.

Diversity is a good thing. Don't label people or assume anything. I do believe in Kharma.

Seeing people less fortunate than you or in terrible predicaments should remind you that you are very lucky and have much to offer in the way of encouragement, help, support, or even just a friendly smile. Don't ever think it can't happen to you or that the rules don't apply to you for any reason.

So be a good person, please. This is not relative or subjective--or optional.

5)...Inspired by the deep, unconditional love of and for your parents and siblings to have your own spouse and children someday. It is important to know the love you will have for your own children and family; to know what it is to be selfless, and call upon your childhood for encouragement and ideas, and give your mom the grand babies she wants and deserves.

It is a milestone, and a very worthy one at that.

So stay a close-knit, ever-expanding family, please.

I gave this post a lot of thought as I was writing and editing it and I truly believe that these are the five ingredients to happiness, which is really what we all want for our children.

So go forth and be happy...please!

We are ALWAYS here to help you along the way.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...