Thursday, February 26, 2009

Keeping it Real


I have already admitted that discipline is not necessarily my strong suit in the parenting department. I can be somewhat inconsistent depending on the situation, I might yell more than I am proud to fess up to, and I'm not sure the mode of discipline is always commensurate with the violation. There, I have said it.

Now, I officially have to address my shortcomings because Warren is getting older and more capable and cunning in his naughtiness and backtalk. Cute as some of his retorts might be when I am trying to talk to him about his misbehavior, I do realize it will not be cute for long.

I know his currency - it is his Star Wars toys and paraphernalia. But those little figures and ships are such saviors at certain times of the day when I might need to do something constructive or have a moment's peace. So, I have been hesitant to take them away because, well I will be punished nearly as much if not more than him. But yesterday's bout of misdeeds left me completely no choice as all my other modes of discipline failed as they often do.

As much as I truly love that Nanny 911 show, the time out or naughty spot does not work for us and just plain never has since the boys were very small. Unless I literally sit on top of them, they are not staying on the little red bench I had designated as the time out spot.

So, cutting to the chase, ALL the Star Wars stuff is packed up and put away and I am determined to work with Warren to earn them back. He took it surprisingly well, without a major tantrum. But then he did ask for things several times during the evening only to be reminded of what had transpired and the plan going forth.

I understand and see firsthand that some kids, because of their personality types, are easier to discipline than others. For example, Jack responds much more readily to discipline, since he is more apt to want to please those he perceives as being "in charge." Warren is more interested in being pleased than pleasing. I really don't think either one personality is better since I see strengths with Warren's personality type, such as natural leadership ability, but it certainly presents more of a challenge for the momma of such a strong willed boy.

Fortunately, I am determined to do what is best for him to be a respectful and well-adjusted little man. I mean it when I tell him that he is too good and smart of a boy to show the ugly behavior he sometimes chooses.

I find it kind of therapeutic and refreshing to look back at baby pictures when I am really angry with one of my boys...to see when they were just all cheeks and a quick smilea at the mere sight of their momma instantly brings down my blood pressure and makes me gain perspective.

So, here are the few pictures I am meditating on today:


1 comment:

Jessica said...

Good for you! I know it is so hard and no one finds it easy to be consistant *grin*! I think it it is great that you found the thing that you will work for you and your boys. I imagine that it will work, especially if he took it so well!

BTW, I just noticed on your sidebar with the pictures of the boys that you call Jack "Baby Jack", we call our Jack that too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...